Apr 14, 2021
This DDW podcast features Dr Hongshan Li, Applications Manager,
Sartorius, discussing advances in cell and protein analysis for
This episode examines virology research - what’s currently
happening in the sector and how new advances in technology are
helping push forward innovation and drug development. With COVID-19
playing such a significant role in the drug discovery and
development industry over the last year, we find out what effect it
has had and Dr Li explains how we can take some of the
methodologies that have arisen from the pandemic and use them to
drive innovation in virology research.
Dr Li provides:
- An overview of current global virology research. Has the need
to explore this area of science grown due to the pandemic and if
so, where are the opportunities currently for research?
- The pandemic has highlighted the need for more understanding in
and knowledge of emerging infectious diseases (EIDs). How has the
drug discovery and development sector responded to this and exposed
the areas that need to be developed in EIDs?
- Expertise on how to optimise process, get to market faster and
- Insight into Sartorius’ research around coronaviruses and spike
proteins as targets for therapeutics.
- Detail about Sartorius and its technologies relevant to this
area of research and how this type of technology can help speed up
the discovery process.
- A view on the future of virology research - where the
areas of opportunity will be looking head and how can the research
community prepare itself to be best placed to tackle new emerging
threats should they arise?
Dr Li has many years of experience in the development and
optimisation of bioassay platforms and is currently focussing on
novel assay development.